Happy New Year? An Open Letter to Those Who Struggled in 2018.

Dear Fellow Strugglers,

Happy New Year?

If your 2018 was anything like mine, it makes sense why that popular phrase is a question instead of an exclamation. 2018 was rough for me. Like, cry myself to sleep, hate my job, #thestruggleisreal kind of rough. It hasn't helped scrolling through social media these last few days and seeing post after post of people sharing the highlights of their past year. Especially when I look back on my own year and the lows seem to outweigh the highs.

I don't mean to sound so negative around the New Year, because you're supposed to be joyful and reminiscent of all the blessings from the last 364 days. But what if you're having difficulty finding the joy? What if the blessings aren't so clear right now? What if your 2018 Word of the Year was victory but it turned out more like defeated? Because that's me.

Then, last night I was on break at work and God spoke over me in a way I haven't experienced in months. His truth hit me so hard, I started crying right there in that restaurant booth. Knowing this was something I'd want to look back on, I quickly typed it up on my phone in the last few minutes of my break.

As I read over it again at home, I realized I may not be the only one who needs this truth in my life. Maybe your year was similar to mine and you need some encouragement stepping into 2019. I hope it will strike a chord with you like it did me.

1. You are NOT defeated! You made it into another year and that's something to celebrate in itself. Right now, you may be surviving, but that is completely different from being defeated. Surviving leaves open the hope of victory. Tomorrow is another day, another step into a new year. Celebrate this new chance at life. "But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us." Romans 8:37.


2. Take a deep breath. Feel your lungs fill up with air and take refuge in the fact that you, my friend, are still here. That means God is not through with you yet! "'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope.'" Jeremiah 29:11.



3. It's okay. It's okay that 2018 sucked. It's okay that you didn't have it all together, that you're only remembering the bad parts. Sometimes the bad parts weigh heavier on your soul than the good ones. Life isn't perfect and neither are you. And that's okay. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28.

4. God's got you. He had you in His grasp throughout 2018, and He'll hold on to you in 2019. It doesn't matter how many mistakes you made and will make, He will always love you and welcome you with open arms. Bask in this truth. "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39.

5. You have nothing to fear. 2018 probably caused a lot of bruises and scars in your life. You may feel like you're limping into 2019 with battle wounds, and it's natural to be fearful of what lies ahead. But when you put your faith and trust in God, He shines a light on fear that forces it back into the darkness where it belongs. You have salvation in Jesus Christ. Celebrate the victory and peace that He brings! "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life; whom shall I dread?" Psalms 27:1.

Remember these truths. 

Memorize those verses. 
Let them be your anchor throughout 2019.
Write them on sticky notes, create a mantra, add them to a song.
But remember.
Because 2019 is a new year that has all kinds of possibilities placed right in front of you.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6.


Happy New Year, and may God shine joy and peace into your new beginning.

Marla Johnson


PS: Here's one of my favorite songs, This Year by JJ Heller. Hope it encourages you!


Comments